> What I find curious is that once we implement Kernel.nillable_get_in, why
would anyone choose to use Kernel.get_in instead?

When I don't expect anything to be nil, I want it to fail as soon as
possible, instead of having nil further creeping into the system.
Personally, most of the times I used get_in and friends, I am working with
structured data (the opposite of your use case). If any nil shows up, it
should be an error.

And changing get_in may not break code, expectations I had when I wrote the
code would certainly be broken. And I would personally be unhappy if we
simply changed get_in without introducing an option to write assertive
code. Writing assertive code is an important of Elixir. It is why we have
map.foo in addition to map[:foo]. So I think it is best to remove changing
get_in from the discussion altogether, I don't see it happening.

We can continue discussing alternatives though.