To be honest, I am not sure either. I am not sold on Access.path/1 as a
name. Using "path" makes it sound like it is a general abstraction but it
isn't. Passing an Access.path to put_in or update_in won't make them
suddenly accept nils because in there it is a more complex problem (you
need to replace nils by actual semantic values).

So something like "nillable" or "unless_nil" is actually closer in intent
IMO but I also agree those are not good names.

Also, I should have asked this sooner, but can't the complex path that you
are writing be easily expressed with pattern matching?