Further to the above (in case I'm not clear enough about what is IMO
missing for Elm to become "the missing link") I found this updated Space
Invaders code: https://ohanhi.github.io/base-for-game-elm-017.html

This 1.7 rewrite might be be near perfect as a foundation if only it took
the next step and added rudimentary graphics play.  Although it could use
more documentation it is simple enough that I can almost understand the
skeleton.    Would adding graphics be really easy?  Could someone give me a
hint?