You can definitely get the topojson file using Elm's HTTP library, suppling
the value decoder
<http://package.elm-lang.org/packages/elm-lang/core/4.0.5/Json-Decode#value> so
you get back an opaque JSON value, which you can pass out a port (nearly
certain on that) for the JS topojson decoder to handle, and then pass back
into the program through another port, also of a JSON value. And then I
think you might be right -- getting into that is going to be a little
trickier than in a dynamically typed language. You could try to do ad-hoc
decoding and get what you need (Debug.crash-ing on cases you don't need to
handle), or as you suggest, decode according to the spec.

Tell you what: I've got a long plane ride tomorrow so I'll make a library
to decode GeoJSON into a nice collection of Elm types. You sit tight for a
few days.