Good advice thanks.  Last night I fought with random number generators,
looks like tonight I'm going to be doing the same with the JSON decoders.
And while I encourage you to create a  GeoJSON decoder, I won't wait for
it...the point of this exercise is to learn, and it would be really
interesting and instructive to compare any primitive GeoJSON decoder
against something you might come up with.

Poking around the docs, I came across "extensible records" and I think I'm
going to try to use those.  Seems to fit pretty well in some cases,
although it may be overly complicated in the end.

Debug.crash?  I hadn't seen that.  On a quick scan it reminds me of Perl's
Carp module.