I was late to the Lua community — Lua 4.0 verging on 5.0 — but in some ways
at a similar point or earlier to where Elm is trying to be given that at
the time Lua conferences and talks at other conferences were not a common
thing. Lua the language is controlled by three people with the
implementation all being the work of one person. They clearly listen to the
mailing list, but they make decisions themselves about what the language is
going to be and how the implementation is going to work.

But having asserted that control over the core, the Lua team takes bug
fixes very seriously and are aggressive about fixing bugs in releases while
preserving the specification. Elm does not fare as well here with multiple
runtime crash inducing bugs sitting for months at a time.

Furthermore, Lua invested in a strong API for interoperation with native
code and welcomed people writing libraries to extend it. The Lua community
has struggled to have anything like the package repositories of Python or
Perl — it's notorious as a batteries not included language — but there was
express support as opposed to discouragement for rolling up your sleeves
and extending it as you needed. (One result of Lua's friendliness to
extension is that Lua is now at the core of some of the most important
machine learning libraries.) Contrast this with the thin official
documentation around ports and the significant limitations on how those can
be used to access and work with external functionality. It feels like an
"if you must but we'd really rather you didn't" situation.

I don't know how the process on Python worked, but I suspect given the
range of extensions to Python it was similar.

Own and control the core. Be dedicated to making it as high quality as
possible. Make it easy and encouraged for people to provide extensions
beyond the core. Elm certainly practices the first. There are signs of
trouble with respect to the second. Significant issues with regard to the
third are driving people away.

Mark