My 2c on above...

1) web components - once they're a standard they will be a must.

Perhaps they feel like a necessity now (I am sold) but they're still in a
flux, browsers support bits and pieces, some things haven't been finalised
yet.

Angular / Reacts / Vue's ad hoc implementations for their own
implementations are fine, but you get bitten when they have breaking
updates (Ng 1 -> 2 etc...).

Best to stick with the W3C when it appears.

2) Community / priority setting / BDFL

Elm is unique, it doesn't try to do everything well. Evan obviously has his
priorities and other things go by the way side. This is a strategy, and
this is how Elm will be effective.

It's right there on the home page:

> A delightful language for reliable webapps

>From my POV, Elm is almost success already, in that it has a goal, clearly
advertises it and is almost there. Roll on 1.0!

3) JS interop

This will evolve, but see above, the constraint is that Elm remains
reliable...