Whenever I `elm-make`, I give it the `--warn` option, however, this often
makes the compiler generate warnings like "Top-level value `foo` does not
have a type annotation.", if there are a lot of these, it would make the
real warnings hard to notice.

Sometimes I deliberately omit type annotations for top level values, the
reason is that these values are just some strings and numbers, (like CSS
colors, some constants, etc.), or even initial model of type Model, there
is really no need to annotate them, and annotating them would make the code
looks uglier (because in the case of CSS colors, you often have several
colors in succession, like `white=Css.hex "aabbcc" \n black=Css.hex
"bbccdd" \n green=Css.hex "ccddee", if you annotate them, it becomes
verbose).

As someone pointed out, a good consequence of type inference is that you
don't have to write type declarations if you don't want to, however, I
think Elm may have a different opinion on this.