[திங்கள் ஆகஸ்ட் 21, 2023] Karthik Chikmagalur wrote:

>> I have lualatex installed as part of another texlive package but I am
>> not sure if org uses it however.
>
> If you haven't changed `org-latex-compiler' (globally or in the Org
> buffer using a keyword), it's using pdflatex.

I am indeed using pdflatex.

>>> 3. If no, do you mind sharing this file (or a stripped down version
>>> you're okay sharing that still has these issues) along with the LaTeX
>>> preamble?  That would be `org-latex-preview-preamble' and
>>> `org-latex-packages-alist'.  I would like to reproduce this bug.
>
> Please let us know if you can reproduce the precompilation failure.
> This shouldn't be happening.

Hmm, I tried to reproduce it again but failed to do it.  Perhaps, being
a bit more patient is the key.  Sorry for the false alarm.  I will turn
on precompilation and report if/when I can reproduce the failure.

>> No, AFAICT I don't see the issue with png previews.
>
> Sizing issues with pdflatex+svg previews should be fixed soon.
>
>> However, all latex previews, \( \) and \[ \], seem to be of the same
>> size now.
>
> Should they not be the same size?

After using the svg previews, I was under the impression that inline
maths environments would be at the same size as the rest of the text
whereas the other environments would be at a slightly higher size.

>>> Previewing unadorned LaTeX macros is officially unsupported but
>>> partially supported in practice.  If you move the cursor over the \ch{}
>>> and call `org-latex-preview' it should be previewed.  From that point it
>>> should behave like a regular LaTeX fragment.  Editing it should cause
>>> the preview to be auto-updated (If you are using
>>> org-latex-preview-auto-mode).
>>
>> Is there no automagic way to do this?  Like changing a regexp variable
>> and hoping it would work till the end of time™.  (:
>
> You can change `org-latex-preview--tentative-math-re' to suit your
> needs.  This variable is used to identify LaTeX fragments when calling
> `org-latex-preview'.  All subsequent checks involve the org-element api,
> but for reasons I can't recall at the moment the initial search is via a
> regexp.

Thanks, that seems to work!