> Oops, sorry, I take back my last message, there was an error in my test
> example.
>
> Adding a #+NAME above the generated table DOES result in a correct
> cross-reference. That seems like reasonable behavior to me.

The intended behaviour, as documented by Nicolas, is that a named
source block will result in output with #+RESULTS, and that the
cross-reference will pick that up correctly.

If #+RESULT is not to work, it is better to change
org-babel-results-keyword to NAME, and then what you are suggesting
happens automatically. But in the earlier thread on the topic, Nicolas
said that was not the right way.

Vikas