On 2013-05-21 21:21, Rasmus wrote:
Thanks for a great post and for taken initiative for making org-mode even
better for my purposes. I started using org for writing papers a few years
ago and I am not looking back. The weak point however is bibliographies, as
Now that 8.0 has shipped let's talk bibliography support. This
follows directly upon the discussion around March.
FWIW, I will describe my use case. For drafting and when I can get away
with it, I am going from org to PDF through XeLaTex, with either bibtex or
more recently biber+biblatex. However, when I submit papers, in most cases
they have to be in a wordprocessor format, so I am going through the ODT
export here. In my current workflow this means that the bibliographie
falls apart and in the end (deadlines!!) I usually cut and paste what I can
get into either HTML or PDF. This is not ideal and if this can improve it
would mean a lot to me.
One problem I have had with bibtex and which I am now kind of dealing with
(albeit still in a hackish way) in biber+biblatex is that I need specific
formatting of the entries depending on the language I am publishing in,
which is mostly either English or Japanese. So for Japanese sources cited
in English papers, I have to give the author and title optionally in
Japanese characters, but also in romanized form and possibly in translation,
whereas English sources in Japanese might require a Japanese form of the
names and again a translation into Japanese. I ended up adding extra
fields to my bibtex file, since no bibliographic format I know of (except
TEI) would support this and still allow me to integrate it into my workflow,
but the big problem lies of course in integrating this better in my workflow.
So whatever org ends up with having in terms of bibliography, I would like
to work with you and however jumps in to make sure that it also fits this
need (which is actually not limited to an exotic field like mine, but is
quite common for academics working in East Asia).
All the best,
Christian Wittern, Kyoto