Kai Großjohann writes:
 > Pete Forman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 >
 > > Perhaps we should accept that efs/ange-ftp has prior claim on its
 > > entries in file-name-handler-alist.  It is rather inelegant to
 > > rely on efs and rcp being loaded in the right order.
 >
 > That's right.  Hm.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  Hm.  I'm
 > unsure whether the EFS team has done something about the
 > interoperability problem with rcp.el or not, and if they have done
 > something, what that might have been.  Does anybody here have good
 > contact to the EFS people?
 >
 > As a stopgap measure, I could put code in rcp.el which emits a warning
 > if efs is subsequently loaded.  Something along the lines of:
 >
 > (eval-after-load "efs" (error "EFS must be loaded before loading
 > rcp.el!"))
 >
 > What do you think?

Not enough.  Loading efs before rcp still causes grief.  The functions
expand-file-name, load and require are all overloaded by efs.  Then 41
file handlers are installed.

NT is also in contention for colons to specify drives.

My naming problems have gone away since I customized rcp to use
semicolons instead of colons.

 > And I still haven't got around to the URL thing :-(

URLs use colons as well, so there will still be contention problems.
These will only go away if efs/ange-ftp also adopts URLs which is
unlikely IMHO.  The ftp URL scheme to access an absolute path is,
e.g. ftp://user@host/%2Fetc/magic.  You might think that
ftp://user@host//etc/magic would work but that actually specifies a
relative path, i.e. ~user/etc/magic.  So you either force the emacs
users to use the ugly %2F, or you bend the URL rules (RFC 1738) to
give a different meaning to an empty (first) cwd component.

Another line of attack would be for efs/ange-ftp to be less greedy.
That would require close cooperation between efs and rcp.  As more rcp
methods get added, efs needs to know about them.  Typical file
handling in efs could be in pseudo code

    Is filename ftp-like?
        Is rcp loaded?
             Is filename actually rcp-like?

See my post of 1999-11-01 in this thread for more thoughts on using
URIs in emacs generally.  On balance I don't think that the gains
outweigh the pains.
--
Pete Forman
Western Geophysical