Daniel Pittman writes:
 > Hrm and double hrm. Can you give a simple recipe for reproducing
 > the issue? I had a quick glance in my archives of the list but
 > didn't find anything.

(expand-file-name "/r:morse:.vm")

A stack trace for the ftp error induced is in a message dated Fri, 29
Oct 1999 11:57:29 +0100.  The thread had a subject of "Can't seem to
defeat EFS".

It worked for you then.  Did you (require 'efs) at any stage?
--
Pete Forman              | Disclaimer: This posting is originated by
Western Geophysical      | myself and does not represent the opinion