On 13 Mar 2001, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Emacs should have a general hook for /[^/]+:.* filenames, where [^/]+
>> is the protocol. Then, different packages could register to that hook
>> and tell it which protocol they do manage.
>
> I think using /<protocol>: is just fine, indeed. But I don't think it
> requires any changes to ange-ftp or EFS. All that matters is that
> ange-ftp or EFS have lower precedence, i.e. that they be loaded
> before,

As I understand it, Emacs and XEmacs both agree that changes to the
overall system state are undesirable when you load a single package.

While an exemption is clearly made in the case of Ange-FTP, I don't
think that loading another remote access tool to work around our...
issues with it is right.

> which is already the case of ange-ftp (since it is preloaded). Being
> an Emacser I don't care much about EFS.

It's really not very different, to be frank. The hacks to work around it
are pretty much identical.

        Daniel

--
Sanely applied advertising could remake the world.
        -- Stuart Chase