On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
> On 15-Mar-2001, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Edward J. Sabol wrote:
>>> I agree with Francesco. I don't like "/!/" at all.
>> The prefix will be changeable, using custom, with no trouble at all.
>
> Yes, that's always been the case, but I strongly feel that the default
> should be wisely chosen.

Indeed. If I didn't agree with you[1], I wouldn't have asked.

[...]

>>> Secondly, there's no mnemonic for it at all.
>> Given Emacs isn't really about that, I am unconcerned.
>
> That's too bad. I think you should be.

I don't, quite honestly, think that there is a real common convention
about addressing remote files, save the Unix standard (just like
anything else) and the Windows standard (\\server\share\file).

Neither of those is really mnemonic, nor the tramp/EFS/Ange-FTP method
of /host:path. It's a matter of what people are used to.

[...]

>>> but we've lived with that since the inception of tramp/rcp/rssh and
>>> I don't consider it a problem personally.
>> It's hard to support, requires hacking the innards of other packages
>> and introduces load-order dependencies in the packages.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only a problem with EFS.

You are wrong. It's a problem with Ange-FTP and EFS equally. EFS seems
to be a little more willing to dig it's claws in about the issue, on
occasion, but they /both/ suffer the same issue.

Specifically, the FTP file access package assumes that `/[^/]:' paths
belong to them. This means that we need to chose from:

1. Change away from using paths that match that.
2. Force EFS or Ange-FTP to be loaded before TRAMP is.

I tend to talk about EFS more than Ange-FTP because I am an XEmacs user,
so it's the tool I fight with more often. It's not because Ange-FTP
doesn't suffer the same problems.

> However, I agree that we should fix it, if we can.

Yes.
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, at least /popularly/ chosen. :)

--
Men are afraid of virgins, but they have a cure for their own fear and
the virgin's virginity: fucking. Men are afraid of crones, so afraid of