On Apr 9, 2009, at 10:52 PM, Aahz wrote:

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009, Barry Warsaw wrote:

So, what I'm really asking is this. Let's say you agree that there are use cases for accessing a header value as either the raw encoded bytes or
the decoded unicode.  What should this return:

message['Subject']

The raw bytes or the decoded unicode?

Let's make that the raw bytes by default -- we can add a parameter to
Message() to specify that the default where possible is unicode for
returned values, if that isn't too painful.

I don't know whether the parameter thing will work or not, but you're probably right that we need to get the bytes-everywhere API first.

-Barry