On Apr 10, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Shouldn't this thread move lock stock and .signature to email-sig?

Yep. I'll try to be more conscientious about removing python-dev from the CC.

"Idempotency"?  I'm not sure what that means in the context of the
email package ... multiplication by zero?<wink>  Do you mean that
.parse().to_wire() should be idempotent?  Yes, I think that's a good
idea, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement by (optionally?)
caching the whole original message or individual components (headers
with all whitespace including folding cached verbatim, etc).  I think
caching has to be done, since stuff like "did the original fold with a
leading tab or a leading space, and at what column" and so on seems
kind of pointless to encode as attributes on Header objects.

I tend to agree. I'm also happy of there's a way to tell say the parser that an application doesn't care about that. All that extra caching will have a memory overhead that you should only pay for if you care.

-Barry