For tri-state, don't write to the pin. Normally components process the
input and write to the output every cycle. However if you only write to
the pin when your data changes you get a sort of tri-state.

A normal component:
read inputs
do something
write to pin

A tri-state component:
read inputs
do something
Has my data changed? if so, write to the pin

This allows others to write to the pin as well. You can connect a number
of tri-state outputs together and they (mostly) won't fight. A better
solution is to have an 'enable' input. When the enable is true you
update the output every cycle as normal. When it is false you leave the
output alone. You do then have to have something that decides which
component should be enabled and when.

Les