2013/2/3 EBo <e...@sandien.com>:
> Long story short I am looking at building a project that would likely
> work best with EDM.  I am looking at building a custom EDM head for a a
> CNC router that is currently configured for 0.0001" step.
>
> What I am trying to figure out is how to configure EMC so that the
> electronics can return a "pause" signal until it has burned burned
> through the requested material, then continue on the tool path.
>
> It is straight forward to write this in custom code, but I would prefer
> not to have to rewrite everything from scratch, and just set up a
> LinuxCNC configuration for it.  Any ideas on how to do that?  I'm
> drawing a blank...

Have You considered using motion.feed-hold pin? If I understand You
correctly, it seems like a perfect fit for this case - enable it with
M53 P1 in code and attach motion.feed-hold to whatever input from Your
electronics. And motion will be paused, whenever the input is true.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.