On Feb 3 2013 8:20 PM, TJoseph Powderly wrote:
> On 02/03/2013 07:47 PM, EBo wrote:

>>> What about different motion modules optimized  different classes of
>>> applications?
>> Sure if you can describe realistic situations...

> i've written and investigated Linuxcnc for EDM for years now
> maybe this will be of interest
>
> there are 3 basic forms of edm and each has unique needs
>
> all are EDM though and cannot tolerate the 'in position on time'
> nature
> of linuxcnc ( needs a different rule set for where the tool tip must
> be
> now )
> the tool tip must be in a position dictated by the process,
> independant
> of time and independant of the position where we were last check.
>
> the 3 types of edm are ( besides edg and a few even rarer modes)
>   1) hole drilling...  only moves along a single axis. usually a
> single
> joint
>   2) sink edm ...     retracts to a given point
>      ( maybe 3-8 axis, maybe 1, but the retract path is not
> neccesarily
> the approach path ( nor often the same ))
>      because it retacts to a safe point, this is 'sky blue', you
> need'nt
> have begun or been there before, its just safe
>   3) wedm..  retracts along the programmed path thru one or more path
> pieces
>     ( multiple gcodes/ multiple sequenctial tangential geometric
> entities)
>     this requires a memory ( at least waypoints, like the segments
> spit
> out by the traj planner )
>
>   1 & 2 are HAL solvable
>   3 requires changes to linuxcnc position planning ( at least a
> history
> that can be un-done, like gps waypoints )
>
> my own tests are only for sink edm ( some for hole poppers but my
> HiPresure pump is down now )
>
> i suggest something much simpler than the
>    VtoF to HAL to thresholds to motion proposal
> i simply use a window comparator and output ADVANCE or RETRACT
> signals
> to hal
>
> hal knows the beginning and ending positions (limits) of the motion
> and an OFFSET component's input is inc'd/dec'd according to the
> process
> ( according to the window comparator )
>
> the machine cannot exceed the depth programmed ( could be x y z c as
> you
> like )
> so it has 'spark out' with a little hal-foo and timer ( or a higher
> threshold in mine )
> It is not locked at the bottom, simply watch for it to be at the
> bottom
> for a len of time w/o backing off... thats a sign the work is really
> completed
>
> the cut could go bad and retract to the RETRACT limit, and I abort at
> that point
> ( no where to run )

> [...]

tomp,

It will eb a little while before I get a chance to tare into this.  I
had a major mechanical failure in the truck on the way back home and
need to deal with that over the coming week(s).  I would be interested
in links to the schematics, ini's, etc. you mentioned for reference if
not implementation.

   EBo --