Hi Tom:> path reversal is what you do when things are WRONG
> path reversal is not how you move to the correct position.    These
> statements are true for wire EDM but not for sinker.  There are many reasons
> to back out with sinker, including timed retraction before the erosion gap is
> contaminated or forced retraction after the gap is contaminated.  That
> retraction can be along the programmed path but is more often escaping toward
> a fixed point or in a specified direction.  Escaping off the program path is
> the essential part, not just backup up and dragging the electrode through the
> contamination bits.
I repeat: This is for sinker, Not wire.
Pete Gruendeman

    On Friday, February 26, 2016 9:06 AM, TJoseph Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

 adaptive feed slows down till the velocity does not overshoot the
removal rate
that aint edm, thats following the slow truck in the slow lane

reversal aint what edm is about unless things are near fatally bad.

the normal motion in edm is a jiggly motion that on-the-average moves
towards a destination.

its jiggly because the correct position varies constantly,
the correct position is forward and backward of the present position
on a micro or miliisecond basis.

path reversal is in seconds not fractions.

path reversal is what you do when things are WRONG
path reversal is not how you move to the correct position.

path reversal is like air bags in a car,
  so path reversal is not about good motion control
  its fire prevention,
  no its the fire department.
  it's way after the control system failed.

tomp