The text below is at the end of the SOEM page from the link below.
https://openethercatsociety.github.io/doc/soem/index.html

So how does this work??   The SOEM software itself is GPL, but if you implement an Ethercat master, you need to get a license ??

That's an interesting approach.

If the SOEM code is all GPL, then how could adding GPL code to GPL code result in something other than GPL code ?

From a practical standpoint, I think we need to figure out how to get networked drives connected to LinuxCNC if we want LinuxCNC to live on. At some point analog servo drive interfaces will become like 5 1/4" floppy drives...    They were once common.

Dave

SOEM is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.

SOEM is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

As a special exception, if other files instantiate templates or use macros or inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it with other works to produce a work based on this file, this file does not by itself cause the resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public License. However the source code for this file must still be made available in accordance with section (3) of the GNU General Public License.

This exception does not invalidate any other reasons why a work based on this file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.

The EtherCAT Technology, the trade name and logo "EtherCAT" are the intellectual property of, and protected by Beckhoff Automation GmbH. You can use SOEM for the sole purpose of creating, using and/or selling or otherwise distributing an EtherCAT network master provided that an EtherCAT Master License is obtained from Beckhoff Automation GmbH.

In case you did not receive a copy of the EtherCAT Master License along with SOEM write to Beckhoff Automation GmbH, Eiserstrasse 5, D-33415 Verl, Germany (www.beckhoff.com).