On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:27:25 -0500
Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The text below is at the end of the SOEM page from the link below.
> https://openethercatsociety.github.io/doc/soem/index.html
>
> So how does this work??   The SOEM software itself is GPL, but if you
> implement an Ethercat master, you need to get a license ??

Why a license?

I have nothing about sharing my work but copyright issues i something different.

Then in european union I read something about interoperability so you are
always allowed to make your own device to talk to other device.

> That's an interesting approach.
>
> If the SOEM code is all GPL, then how could adding GPL code to GPL code
> result in something other than GPL code ?
>
>  From a practical standpoint, I think we need to figure out how to get
> networked drives connected to LinuxCNC if we want LinuxCNC to live on.
> At some point analog servo drive interfaces will become like 5 1/4"
> floppy drives...    They were once common.

Yes.

Michael Büsch already implemented a profibus master. I have it running against
an IO module and millions of these kind of devices have been sold. I think he
implemented on Rasberry and I had some timing issue before running on ordinary
computer but have not looked further because I have been busy with something
really good for servos and looking for a new woman.

Bandwidth required to replace an analog signal may be surprisingly high and for
a control loop even though there are plenty of bandwidth it need to split in
many small messages. Ethercat solve this problem in a similar way as cascade
coupled shift registers.

Nicklas Karlsson