On Thursday 18 January 2018 03:40:56 andy pugh wrote:

> On 17 January 2018 at 23:41, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > I think this might be right up PCW's alley. He is already selling
> > some cards that expand via an rj45 jack.
>
> There is already at least one non-Mesa servo-drive that is
> controllable via the Mesa "Smart Serial" interface.
> Plug an STMBL drive into LinuxCNC and the HAL pins are all created
> automatically, just like for any other smart-serial device.
>
> But that isn't an answer for supporting existing EtherCAT devices with
> LinuxCNC.
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEV_i7o1NI

I wasn't trying to imply that it was, just an alternative controller
method that might be cheap and allow much longer cables. These things
function as diff to ttl and vice versa, are apparently not too terribly
fussy about the data rate, handily reaching the limits of one of these
better stepper drivers without a problem, limit caused by the drivers
own opto inputs seem to be around the 300-350 kilohertz rate.

Another comment re the SainSmart bob's and some of the others with opto's
in the output paths. I found I had to set the stepper pulses for my A
drive to about 2 u-secs longer before I could set a meaningfull
step_scale. The A drive is using a 542T driver, which looks a lot like
the older 2M542. But it doesn't program the same. I'd steer clear of
that one since thats a speed limit we don't need. It too is on the
SainSmart bob.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)