Hi Steve

The main problem is probably your OS
We only support Debian and the package dependencies are based upon what is in the Debian repos.

Ubuntu tends to just do whatever it likes and wants to 'Ubuntuise' everything.
There is a reason why the linuxcnc distro image is also Debian based.

The czmq / zmq libraries are a particular problem because they were changed
to a new version that is backwardly incompatible with the old one by the zmq project.

At great trouble we ported our code to the new API, to enable Machinekit to run on later
versions of debian where it is the default.

The new libs are now backported by Debian as far back as Jessie thankfully.
The version requirements are to get the correct ones from Debian repos.

If you install Debian Jessie / Stretch (even Buster if you use my repo), it will just work.

The docs clearly state "You should first have a working Debian installation"
http://www.machinekit.io/docs/getting-started/getting-started-platform/

Hope that clarifies