Steve,

You probably need to get libczmq4 from a third party repo or Debian Stretch. I
think we had a custom package for Wheezy. But libczmq isn't hard to install
from source either, so you might give it a shot.
I have to agree with the visionary part of the 2 projects. ROS is starting get
more traction these days, there are already quite a few companies relying on
ROS for their products (especially for mobile robots) and I know about several
who are working on ROS 2.0 integration. Unfortunately ROS 2.0 adopted DDS as
middleware, Machinetalk evolved at approximately the same time. Altough I do
not like the proprietary and patented nature of DDS, it might be worth
considering adopting it when eyeing ROS 2.0 integration as a future goal.
Alex