> My question:
>
> Will using the framebuffer (instead of X) make a better environment for
> LinuxCNC?

For low spec. computers, not having the overhead of X, is a bonus.  You'll
also boot faster into linuxcnc.

But, you won't be able to run other applications or utilities.  And you'll
need to write everything from scratch - X's OpenGL is used for the 3d.

> ( I am ankle deep in FB programming now and wondering if I should get in
deeper or head for higher ground )

I played around with Qt and its option to use the framebuffer as the output
device (with the command line option '-platform linuxfb:fb=/dev/fb0').
Theoretically, you can write 1 Qt program that would work with X or FB. That
proof of concept worked, but I didn't have time to take it further.

Recently I tried to apply the same option with one of the Qt linuxcnc UIs
(pyqt?), but they used other parts of X so it would not run (from memory it
was IPC libraries; D-bus?)