Hi,

my answer was rejected yesterday, so I try to resend it ...

On Sonntag, 3. Mai 2020, 16:17:46 CEST Johannes Fassotte wrote:
> The name remote UI should be considered to mean that it is interfaced to
> LinuxCNC using a network connection. This connection for most individuals
> would likely be via local host but it can be used remotely if desired from
> other suitable devices.  Such a interface adds flexibility and would
> provide universal interface.

Flexibility?

With nml-layer its possible for multiple clients read the status area.
Command-channel is single-user, but works for multiple clients.
... and error channel - well, could be better

With network you can't have multiple clients use the same port. Only if you
give up security. That's no choice for risky environments, where a failure may
result in human damage
And cnc is a very risky environment. Don't underestimate that.

... and at what cost?

By convention network data format is big endian, whereas pc-dataformat is
little endian. So using internal network for flexibility is some kind of stupid
- especially in realtime environments.

Look at the billions of update calls in linuxcnc. They are cut out on nml-
layer. That's the fastest way: memory access for reader and writer - without
any conversion.

So network usage needs to be well calculated. Don't ever use it without any
need.
... and that means, that I don't estimate all design changes of machinekit.

Reinhard