On Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2020, 18:57:56 CEST Curtis Dutton wrote:
> I'm a RIP guy on all
> of my machines and run master.

So what is wrong with that?
I guess, that's almost true for most users of linuxcnc

On Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2020, 18:57:56 CEST Curtis Dutton wrote:
> no matter
> when the next release occurs, it is going to be painful for most users to
> upgrade.

That taken for true, I believe, that there are many users, that won't upgrade.

On Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2020, 18:57:56 CEST Curtis Dutton wrote:
> Users need to be accustomed to frequent releases and frequent upgrades if
> not just to get them used to doing it.

Really? And if they really NEED that frequent updates, are they willing to pay
for it?
I'm sure, Andy and others already spent lots of hours in extra release issues
and I'm not sure, that this effort is appreciated by "default" users.

Most (if not all) developers are volonteers, who spend their leisure time on
project. Time is very very precious - for everybody.
So why waste that precious time on shady subjects like release?

May be academic people think different - don't know. Sometimes I get the
impression, that they don't know/care about the value of time.

To me, linuxcnc looks like an academic research on "how to extend obfuscation
by being usable anyway" - so why not put manpower on that issue?
If the source would be readable, more developer would likely jump into the
game.

cheers Reinhard