Hi,

On Sonntag, 12. Juli 2020, 22:59:09 CEST Rod Webster wrote:
> I asked a French speaking person to review a 20 page technical document of
> mine which I had translated in Google Drive from English to French using
> Google Translate. He said there was nothing for him to do as it was perfect!

That does not need to be true. May be, he's just to kind to tell the truth.

When I run pncconf last days I noted the bad translation status of german
texts. Well - not the docs, as there is no german variant.
But application texts are important to translate too.
So based on the bad translation status, I made up my mind to help in
translation and spent about the hole day fixing application texts.
Many strings had been translated by google or some other machine and resulted
in weired bunch of words, that where german, but no german would talk that
way.
So NO - google is not good at all.

Lot of texts I could not translate, as I don't know the context of linuxcnc.
Linuxcnc is so huge and I only know a very small part of it. So I think, that
several people are needed on translation, that know both linuxcnc and the
target language. I'll continue with the started work, but I can't finish it.
I'm quite sure, that this knowledges are more important for writing docs.
You can't translate texts, where you don't know the context!

Google might fit to understand something translated from a foreign language,
but surely does not fit to translate into a foreign language without
supervising of a native speaker.

I thought, every german would know english, as it is teached at elementary
school already. But reality is different. I met several germans interested in
cnc, that don't know english. So having docs in native language can help
spread the project.

cheers Reinhard