On 28.02.22 18:40, gene heskett wrote:
On Monday, February 28, 2022 8:28:36 AM EST andy pugh wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 at 13:22, Steffen Möller<steffen_moel...@gmx.de>
wrote:
ie, "rtapi" is relevant to uspace and rt builds.
Can you guide me (or someone else surfacing) towards what would be
required to have LinuxCNC readily compatible with that external
EtherCAT package on Debian?
Personally I know nothing about EtherCAT. I have always been a little
afraid of the licensing complexities mentioned here:

https://etherlab.org/en/ethercat/

Etherlab itself is GPLv2, but _using_ it seems to bring a different
licensing restriction into play. And I don't know enough about
licensing to know if that's a problem.
I followed this link, and couldn't find an obvious link to the licensing
docs. Am I going blind? Or are they acting like a submarine, ala the
compuserve debacle from about 25 years back?
It is in the "Notice" section below that copyright thingy:
The license above concerns the source code only. Using the EtherCAT
technology and brand is only permitted in compliance with the industrial
property and similar rights ofBeckhoff Automation GmbH
<http://beckhoff.com/>.

Best,
Steffen