> From my understanding Beckhoff is very open regarding the master (who
> even does not need a special hardware,
> when driven by an RTOS) and are very restrictive when it comes to the
>slave (where a ASIC / FPGA is needed in any case)

This was also my understanding when I read the licensing requirements. Heck
they said they would even share source code with you if you were building a
master...
I have posted on the ethercat section of the forum calling for technical
guys to get this done
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/45239-lets-get-ethercat-into-the-linuxcnc-distribution-need-technical-people-to-help

Please send me an email at ether...@vmn.com.au if you can help with the
tech stuff.