I don't mind building LinuxCNC RTAI packages but the problem is actually a
license problem. LinuxCNC keeps complaining after the ./configure about how
it's a non-distributable build, but that flag has to be set due to the readline
GPL-v2/LGPL starting with Debian Bullseye, otherwise the configure will fail.

Building RTAI kernel debs for LinuxCNC is easy, it's literally download source,
patch, make -j`nproc` bindeb-pkg and voila.

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net/msg23329.html

Curious, how are you guys legally hosting LinuxCNC Debian packages for Bullseye
or Bookworm?

I'm going to be working with Paolo on getting RTAI and PREEMPT_RT on the same
kernel, I have 99.9% of the code done (all the kernel code itself is done) but
I'm stuck on literally one line of C in the RTAI mailbox driver. You could
theoretically even patch LinuxCNC to let you choose at runtime or in the
settings somewhere what you want, RTAI or PREEMPT_RT, cutting the need for two
different LinuxCNC packages. Just a thought.

Alec