On 9/27/23 16:23, Rod Webster wrote:
Gene,
Great you are making progress.
Your scripts won't work as you refer to 32 bit armhf and this is 64bit arm64 Also Buster uses Python 2.7 which was deprecated in Bullseye. Linuxcnc now uses Python 3.11 and 2.7 is not available. There should not be any missing dependencies to build linuxcnc as the image builds linuxcnc from source. If there is you will be able to install them once we sort out your network.
please follow the docs to build the packages
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html#_building_debian_packages

<http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html#_building_debian_packages>
when you run the debian/configure script do it this way
cd ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian
./configure uspace no-docse is once we get your network

to set a fixed Ip address, you should edit /etc/network/interfaces
we don't need to touch dhcpcd.conf
geany and nano editors are included
Something like this but check the NIC name using ip a as it won't be eth0

   auto eth0
     iface eth0 inet static
         address192.0.2.7/24  <http://192.0.2.7/24>
         gateway 192.0.2.254

Ahh, but it is eth0 now!

To set DNS servers, add something like this which will use Google's DNS servers:

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

I normally used nsswitch, or resolv.conf to set the search order to host,namserver
resolv.con already installed. And is not a link.

And nameserver is my router, dd-wrt, which is running dnsmaq, and if it isn't cached, sends the request on to my isp's nameserver.
I've printed both, as this machine has no access until the net is working.

Thank you. About time to do something in the microwave and call it dinner. I'm near the right coast of the USA, I assume from you sig you are an Aussie?

Take care & sty well.
Ref: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Configuring_the_interface_manually <https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Configuring_the_interface_manually>

To restart networking with the new settings
sudo systemctl restart networking

To set your host name to rpi4.coyote.den

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname rpi4.coyote.den

On my network, I let the router allocate IP addresses with DHCP and if a fixed IP is required, I add a DHCP reservation on the router for the specific MAC address. That way, there is no configuring of IP addresses on the device.

I think I've covered everything

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
Vehicle Modifications Network
www.vehiclemods.net.au <http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/>

    https://github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/blob/linuxcnc/instructions.txt
<https://github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/blob/linuxcnc/instructions.txt>
<https://github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/blob/linuxcnc/instructions.txt
<https://github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/blob/linuxcnc/instructions.txt>>

    Further findings, looking at /etc/network/interfaces, I am advised that
    for static addresses, which this is. I should consult etc/dhcpcd.conf
    and man dhcpcd.conf, but neither is installed.  And w/o network access,
    I am DITW.  I am black listed off the pi forum, seems I asked too many
    realtime questions 7 years ago when I was first setting this up on a
    rpi3b, which was a bit short of the power to do it smoothly as that
    lathe would stop for a few milliseconds now and then waiting on orders.
    The foundation officially does not support realtime.  So I wound up
    building my own preempt-rt kernal, and not know anything about
    u-boot, I
    worked out a 26 megabyte tarball, the unpacked to /boot and /lib to
    install that kernel, which has been happily running this rpi4 from
    reboot to reboot. Months between reboots at times, dead stable.

    Right now my workspace SSD is out and a usb reader is in its usb3
    socket, so my whole linuxcnc subdir has been cp -R installed.

    <http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/ <http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/>>

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bv4ceKAa0nYwDvc5eVNYFtU24PQGjKfQ

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kW9GkNFZ7eZkfQSQPkiCHNDEXyBEfdnP