Hello Kevin,

This is not an uncommon problem as you have probably guessed.  Rather than
get embroiled in discussing the details of what one should measure, I'd
rather offer a couple of ways I've seen used to "work around" the problem.

A) Assuming you are using leaded diodes; Raise the diode off of the board
and pass the leads thru tubular standoffs (rivets) which are staked to
the board prior to wave soldering or pass the leads thru glass or ceramic
beads prior to insertion in the board.  Another "standoff" scheme is to
bend a "V" into the leads prior to insertion into the board. I've seen
diodes raised as much as 2 cm off the board.

B) Use a higher temperature-rated circuit board.

C) Use a combination of A and B, noted above.

Let us know how this works out.

Regards, Art Michael, Editor

                *     International Product Safety News      *
                *    Check out our current offer on the      *
                *  Safety Link at http://www.safetylink.com  *