From:   dmck...@paragon-networks.com
[SMTP:dmck...@paragon-networks.com]
Sent:   Tuesday, September 16, 1997 5:35 PM
To:     IEEE Product Safety Technical Committee -
Subject:        Re: EN 60950 and component heating

Hi Kevin,

I had a rather bad experience between UL and CSA in
the older days when there wasn't so much discussion
and agreement between them.  I had set up an MOU
between them with UL as the test location.

Went like this ...

Switching power supply.  Has a transformer.
Must do abnormals on it.  UL does the abnormals.
Temp probe on the *windings* of the transformer.

CSA said, "No way. Since the real concern is
           the PCB flaming from over temps
           from the transformer, we want the
           probes on the *bobbin*."

UL said, "No way. Since the real concern is
          what generates the heat, we want the
          the probes on the *windings*."

To this day, I can't say absolutely which way
is the better.

Guess I didn't help you much either.

Regards,  Doug