From: Cortland Richmond [mailto:72146....@compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 23:46
To: Grasso, Charles (Chaz); ieee pstc list
Subject: Re: Question on FCC Class B certifications.

Since April of 97 I've been in telecoms, but I have worked with computers
about 14 years.

For the past few years, for computers, anyway, one may either obtain FCC
certification as before, obtaining and applying an FCC ID for Class B
equipment, or self certify, generate a Declaration of Conformity (DoC) and
apply an FCC mark -- the "F" followed by concentric "C's." One may also
assemble a computer from components which have been certified before, and
enjoy a presumption of compliance without even having to test the
equipment, but in this case, the label must state that this is what was
done.  That's what you have bought.  It would be interesting to see if that
presumption is warranted.

Regards,

Cortland