All:

A couple of weeks back I posted a message regarding a CENELEC Decision that
impacted the use of varistors between mains conductors and ground. I have
appreciated the resulting messages / dialogues, but I still am unclear about
my initial questions:

1) Is this Decision only for pluggable equipment type A, or is the spark-gap
/ fuse requirement in effect for pluggable equipment type B as well?

2) Will  Denmark, UK, and Sweden accept varistors to ground if the circuit
contains a spark-gap and two fuses?

If this Decision means DK, UK, SE will simply not accept varistors to
ground, then a lot of small pluggable type A equipment intended for sale in
DK, UK, SE will have to either: 1) discontinue using varistors, or 2) become
pluggable equipment type B (which would be onerous, given the IEC 309 plugs
I've seen).

I appreciate your input.

John Boucher
jpbouc...@lucent.com

Decision text:
Varistors Transient suppressors between the mains and the protective earth
cannot be accepted by the following countries:
*       pluggable equipment type A:
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, UK
pluggable equipment type B:
Belgium, Denmark, Norway, UK
A combination of a varistor in series with a spark gap (gas tube,) complying
with basic insulation, and with a fuse will be accepted for:
a)      pluggable equipment type B and permanently connected equipment:
*       by all countries
b)      pluggable equipment type A:
*       by all countries except Denmark, UK, and Sweden

For pluggable equipment type A two fuses are required.
(to ensure that even by non-polarized plugs a fuse is provided)

Permanently connected equipment connected to protective earth:
*       accepted by all countries