All:

I have received a copy of a CENELEC Decision (dated 6/98) regarding the use
of varistors between mains conductors and ground. This particular Decision
is written in a rather unclear fashion (at least its unclear to me...I tend
to be rather literal in my interpretations of written requirements), and I
am struggling with defining the actual requirements.

If anyone out there has received this Decision, and believes they are clear
about what the actual bottom line requirements are, please let me know. I
have muddled through some of the issues, but need some confirmation on a
couple of points (see the questions below). It may seem to some that the
answers to these questions are straight-forward in the Decision, but I have
studied this Decision (maybe too much) and find these points unclear.

1) Is this Decision only for pluggable equipment type A, or is the spark-gap
/ fuse requirement in effect for pluggable equipment type B as well?

2) Will  Denmark, UK, and Sweden accept varistors to ground if the circuit
contains a spark-gap and two fuses?

3) The installation instructions for our PABX systems include the
requirement for a permanently connected ground wire between the equipment
ground and an approved building ground (this ground wire is in addition to
the "green wire" lead in the AC mains). This wire is required for all our
PABX systems (AC and DC powered systems, pluggable type A, type B, and
permanently connected systems). Does this permanent ground connection
provide an exemption to this Decision?

If this Decision means DK, UK, SE will simply not accept varistors to
ground, then a lot of small pluggable type A equipment intended for sale in
DK, UK, SE will have to either: 1) discontinue using varistors, or 2) become
pluggable equipment type B (which would be onerous, given the IEC 309 plugs
I've seen).

Thanks for the help.

John Boucher
jpbouc...@lucent.com