From: Volker Gasse [mailto:ga...@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 3:34 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Varistors to ground

The mentioned Cenelec decision is taken from the 'List of decisions from
CENELEC Operational Staff Meeting for Electronic Equipment (OSM/EE)'.
Here representatives from EU Testhouses meet to discuss interpretations of
clauses in safety
standards such as EN 60950 for IT products. These decisions are to be
followed
by all European
testhouses. However, those decisions should be
interpretations/clarifications
to the existing
standards, but not addition of new requirements.

For EN 60950, Clause 1.5.1, Decision 98/2 states:

'A combination  of a varistor in series with a spark gap (Gas-Tube)
[between the mains and the protective earth]
complying with Basic Insulation, and with a fuse will be accepted for

a. Pluggable equipment Type B and permanently connected equipment:  by all
countries
b. Pluggable equipment Type A: by all countries except DK, UK and SE.
For pluggable equipment Type A two fuses are required.'
(To be sure that even by non-polarized plugs a fuse is provided)

This interpretation is an extension to a decision which was already issued
in
1/94:

'If a Varistor  is separately approved according to Publications IEC
601051-1
and IEC 601051-2, it can be accepted without a protective device. If a
Varistor  is not separately approved, a protective device against the
short-circuit is required.
Varistors tested according to CECC 42200 are considered as acceptable in the
same way as tested to IEC 601051.
Varistors between the mains and the protective earth cannot be accepted by
the
following countries:
Pluggable equipment, type A:
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom.'
The new decision is not part of the upcoming safety standard for
IT products, IEC 60950 3rd edition, which is likely to be available
beginning
of next year.
One of the reasons for requiring the spark gap in series with the varistor
is a
possible increase
in leakage current if the varistor has been exposed to several mains
transients.

It should be noted, that IEC/EN 60950 does not require the use of transient
suppressing
components.

Concerning the

mit freundlichen Gruessen/ best regards
Volker Gasse

IBM Germany, Technical Relations/Product Safety,
Tel: +49 7031-16-6796, Fax: -6916, e-mail: ga...@de.ibm.com
Mail:  3114/7103-91, D-70548 Stuttgart, Germany

---------------------- Forwarded by Volker Gasse/Germany/IBM on 15.12.98
11:20

owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org on 15.12.98 02:11:00
Please respond to jeich...@statpower.com