Perhaps the Europeans will soon draft a new directive
for the safety of these Champagne bottles, something
along the lines of the explosives atmospheres
directive.

I would very much like to be the test engineer, as we
could require sampling the product in bottles as part
of the laboratory testing.

Regards,

Frank West
Sr. Engineer
TUV Rheinland NA

--- Robert Macy <m...@california.com> wrote:

> Isn't there a little wire basket that keeps the cork
> in?  Once that's
> removed, it's essentially an armed explosive device.
>
> I've been at parties where people removed the wire
> retainers and left the
> bottles sitting in the ice, supposedly to make it
> easier to have their corks
> removed later.  Our host, who doesn't do this
> practice - a well meaning
> guest did it, was very dismayed as one of the corks
> launched into his
> antique Tiffany light fixture showering glass all
> over.
>
> Are you saying that the cork blew off that wire
> retaining basket?
>
>                       - Robert -

=====
Frank West