Rich,

Like Doug, I've got to play the devil's advocate for a bit longer to ensure
I understand this issue once the dust settles.

I've read these sections of the CFR many times, and always interpreted them
to apply to end user equipment, as you imply.  However, I am beginning to see
that this may be somewhat like quoting the Bible out of context.  The context
in this section of the CFR (before and after) overwhelmingly refers to "house"
wiring types of equipment.

Is it only me, or do others have problems reading into this that it does apply
to end user products such as ITE or blenders?  With so many pages dedicated to
describing the exact requirements for the construction of an "installation" to
provide power to "equipment", why are there no pages dedicated to describing the
requirements of the "equipment"?  IEC 60950 contains 180 pages of such
requirements.
I assume UL 1950 is about the same number ofpages.  If the sections you cite
apply
to ITE (or any other electrical end product), where are the equivalent 180 pages
of construction requirements, including such things as leakage current and
creepage/clearance distances.

Note that covered equipment (whatever that may be) can be acceptable by virtue
of the proper labelling/lisitng, or simply inspected and found to be safe by
one of the referenced authorities.  Several have pointed out that such
authorities typically require a NRTL listing/marking.  If your "proof" is to be
interpreted as you (and I) have been interpreting it, then every single
electrical device sold in the U.S. would HAVE to have an NRTL marking.  I know
that a few years ago we were using internal PCs that bore no such markings.
I will not mention the brand name here.  I suspect that one could find many
electrical products under $10 that do not display such markings either.

Regards,

George Alspaugh

---------------------- Forwarded by George Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark on 08/17/99

richn%sdd.hp....@interlock.lexmark.com on 08/17/99 12:20:32 PM