Here's how a local Denver area OSHA inspector explained it to me...

OSHA considers worker safety to be the responsibility of the company
employing them. Electrical safety for both the facility and it's
infrastructure and the equipment connecting into it's electrical system is
the responsibility of the work-place.

Subpart S-Electrical
ref. 1910.302(a) scope: states that this section covers electrical
installations and utilization equipment.

ref. 1910.399 definition for utilization equipment: equipment which utilizes
electric energy for mechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar
useful purpose.

Comment:  Most any equipment that plugs into a 110V outlet has useful
purpose.

ref. 1910.303 (a) The conductors and "equipment" required or permitted by
this subpart shall be "acceptable" if "approved".

ref. 1910.399: "Equipment" is defined as, material, fittings, devices,
appliances, fixtures, apparatus, and the like, used as a part of, or "in
connection" with an electrical installation.

Comment:  Anything that plugs into a standard 110V outlet is in connection
with an electrical installation.

ref. 1910.399: "Approved" is defined as Acceptable to OSHA.

ref. 1910.399: "Accepted" is defined as accepted, certified or listed by a
nationally recognized testing laboratory (NRTL).

In the case of purchased equipment which is not preapproved by a NRTL, said
equipment may be inspected or tested on site by a NRTL, or federal, state
municipal or local safety authority.  In the case of equipment manufactured
on site for on site uses, said equipment may deemed safe if tested or
inspected by methods indicated  in the previous statement or by the
manufacturer.  If the latter method is to be used testing must be per
national safety standards and test inspection information must be kept on
file, on site and made available to OSHA inspectors if called upon to do so.

Although they have the authority to do so, OSHA does not routinely inspect
business for compliance.  They do not have the time, money or personnel to
do so.
OSHA will check a business for safety concern/s if there is a complaint from
an employee within the organization.  In the latter case the extent of the
investigation is usually limited to the review of the complaint, but OSHA as
always has the option to look as far as they choose into safety aspects of
the business.

If there is a serious injury or death as a result of a safety related
concern OSHA may then look into all aspects of safety within the business.
This includes not only the physical aspects of safety (which would include
electrical safety hazards such as unsafe equipment), but records (e.g.
training, injury, illness, etc.)as well.

Gail Birdsall
Compliance Engineer
Hach Co.