Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I was probably misleading when I used the phrase 'characterize a screen room'.
It sounds too much like 'calibrate'.
I was (and still am) pessimistic that we can any get decent information from a
screen room.  I was hoping to at least figure out a way to mark frequencies
where the room was unreliable.  Enough said.

In light of comments made (especially the one below that mentions 20dB
variations), it sounds like pre-scans to _discover_ problem spots are invalid
as well.
- If you saw a bump, it may be a reflection/resonance.
- If you saw a quiet area of spectrum, it may be a null.

It sounds like the process should be:
1) Discover frequencies by going to an OATS and doing a valid scan.
2) Put the same test setup in the screen room, and move it around until you saw
the same relative amplitudes (ignore the absolute amplitudes). Mark the
location of that exact test setup!
3) Work on the unit to reduce the relative amplitudes.

BTW, I am going to try measurements in the parking lot.  If a screen room isn't
purchased, there should be lots of money available for lounge chairs and sun
screen (I live in Southern California).

--
Patrick Lawler
plaw...@west.net