Ok. Not as complex as I thought-in the TV! It sounds like "simple" RF
interference through the antenna. However, I have just tried shaking the
"coins in a baggie" at my computer monitor - nothing! Now at a 24 year old
TV on wire antennas in my basement. I got nothing at VHF frequencies (54MHz
to 216MHz) but I do get some white "birdies" on UHF. There is more of them
the higher I go. Highest I can get is channel 59 (746MHz).
Conclusion:- the "coins in a baggie" generates high frequency RF noise, but
it doesn't seem to be at a very high level. I had to be very close to the
antenna, shake it real vigorously and then I didn't get many random
"birdies". Maybe 20 or so over the screen!! I can get a lot more
interference especially at VHF tuning, just "sparking" the wire ends coming
from a 12Volt DC power supply together!!  Rene, when you took a scewdriver
and rubbed the metal blade along that radiator seam maybe you were slowly
discharging youself of a charge generated as you walked over to it, causing
sparks and hence RF.
Tony O'Hara