Barry,

Your question is very much justified.  I use the word "ESD" because in my mind,
play the image of the striking screw driver in slow motion.  If you imagine the
nickel surface robs the
screw driver of its electrons to charge up the screw driver, then the electric
field builds up as the screw driver moves away from the nickel surface to the
point to cause air break down and screw driver discharge.  In slow motion, this
is exactly the ESD process.  But in real-time, this is RF.  Different
perspective makes worlds of differences.  :)

Thanks,

George Tang