Hans,

That's certainly an interesting explanation, but does
not correlate to at least three different scenarios.

1) A calibrated ESD simulator in self discharge
   mode at 15KV.  When the results of the ESD
   simulator are compared to the results of the
   coins, the coins have a fairly wideband constant
   level from 0 - 2 GHz.  Both start off at roughly
   the same level with the only the coins remaining
   constant throughout.  The ESD simulator has approx
   a -20dB per octave drop off.

   A side interest is that on the display of the SA has
   an IF overload indication.  This tells me  that the
   transients from the coins are quite possibly a lot
   higher and much quicker than what the SA can handle
   within the sampling window.

2) The level from the coins is proportional to the
   dissimilarity of the metals of the coins.  A bag of
   quarters has a lower profile than a bag of quarters
   and pennies.  Thus, there is some function due to
   electronegativity differentials. Actually, a
   significant amount of difference.

3) I can cause the same effect by sliding the coins
   back and forth as a group within the bag.  Thus,
   the coins are in at least incidental contact with
   each other so that differing potentials amongst
   the coins is minor.

I'm not sure if anyone knows the reason.

Regards,  Doug McKean