From: geor...@lexmark.com [mailto:geor...@lexmark.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 10:45 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Polarity Markings on AC Adapters

To the safety professionals............

I need some input on a subject for which I am no expert.

Typically, our AC adapter suppliers provide units with polarity
symbols a la:

-           +
O-----C-----O

...where the -/+ signs are within the circles.  The "C" represents
the outside of a standard "barrel" connector, and a bold dot in
the center of the "C" represents the inner portion of the connector.
Such adapters may be polarized in either direction.

I was recently asked the standard specifying this polarity symbol,
and did not know, and if it is mandatory.  Since the connector
typically involves only SELV voltages, I could find no specific
references to this polarity marking in IEC 60950.  Section 1.7.2
would not apply unless a hazard was introduced by the use of an
inappropriate polarity adapter with the intended load.

Certainly I could search for the basis of this marking, but like
many of you, have found that this forum is often the fastest way
to obtain such information.

Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.

George Alspaugh
Lexmark International Inc.