Hi George:

>   Thanks for the quick response!  Does this mean that the symbology is only
>   a Japan requirement?  ............and does it apply to ITE as well as
>   audio-visual
>   equipment?

The referenced standard, EIAJ CP1104, is similar
to IEC 417.  Indeed, EIAJ CP1104 contains many
symbols from IEC 417 as well as from other sources.

While the symbols are primarily those relating to
audio-visual equipment, many of the symbols have
much broader application, e.g., ground symbols,
ac and dc symbols, etc.

I cannot say whether or not these symbols are
requirements in Japan or whether or not the
standard applies to ITE.  I would guess, however,
that EIAJ CP1104 is a document which is referenced
by end-product standards just as IEC 417 is
referenced by end-product standards.  (While I
have a copy of the standard, it is in Japanese and
I cannot read it!)

As far as I know, EIAJ CP1104 is the only standard
worldwide that has the dc polarity symbol for
barrel connectors.  (Likewise, as far as I know,
Japan has the only standard for barrel connectors.)

Best regards,
Rich