Group,

All NRTLs accept other NRTL's components except for UL which cannot accept
other NRTL components which they claim is due to the integrity of the UL
Marks.

However, UL does accept other NRTL components if the NRTL has a Memorandum
of Understanding (MOU) with them - for example CSA abd UL have an MOU - and
they review the complete report of the other NRTL and describe the
construction as part of their procedure - ie UL wishes to do the follow-up
on the other NRTL component themselves.

At 11:57 24/10/2000 +0100, duncan.ho...@snellwilcox.com wrote:

>Group,
>
> What about another scenario that I have been in with two NRTL's.
>For the sake of embarrassment,lets call them 'NRTL A' and 'NRTL B'
>
>Firstly any components or equipment recognised or listed by an NRTL are
deemed
>'acceptable' to OSHA so long as it is used as prescribed in its conditions of
>acceptability or use. so can I presume that as OSHA accepts any NRTL mark
they
>are all of equal standing.
>
>Why is it then that NRTL A will not accept a power supply approved by NRTL B.
>The latter is true for NRTL B who will accept NRTL A's mark with no
problems (in
>all cases the conditions of acceptability are followed)
>
>So long as the conditions of acceptability are followed and there are no
>engineering reasons for NRTL A to reject NRTL B's approval then what happens
>next. Is there any recourse or would we have to go to one NRTL and get the
whole
>lot retested. If there is no engineering reason, can an NRTL reject anothers
>recognition just because it distlikes it or maybe sees it as competition!
>
>Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so what did you do to resolve it
>without paying out for more NRTL approvals on an already recognised
component.

>Any comments would be greatly recieved.
>
>Regards,
>
>    Duncan Hobbs, Product Safety Engineer
>    Snell and Wilcox Ltd.

>For help, send mail to the list administrators:
>     Jim Bacher:              jim_bac...@mail.monarch.com
>     Michael Garretson:        pstc_ad...@garretson.org
>
>For policy questions, send mail to:
>     Richard Nute:           ri...@ieee.org

Peter Merguerian
Managing Director
Product Testing Division
I.T.L. (Product Testing) Ltd.
Hacharoshet 26, POB 211
Or Yehuda 60251, Israel

Tel: 972-3-5339022 Fax: 972-3-5339019
e-mail: pmerguer...@itl.co.il
website: http://www.itl.co.il

TO LEARN ABOUT AUSTRALIAN AND NEW ZEALAND REQUIREMENTS, CONTACT ME AT THE
EARLIEST STAGES OF YOUR DESIGN; REQUIREMENTS CAN BE TRICKY!